Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Putting a face to the Evil in our lives.

Since I was a small boy, every year I have experienced some new restriction.  Some new law that you can't do something you used to do, or go someplace you used to go, or buy something you used to buy. For a long time I just called this "life", and thought that it was the way of all things.

Kim Campbell
 Then in 1991 the Canadian government passed Bill C-17, also known as the Assault Weapon Ban. For the first time ever, government decreed that I was not allowed to OWN something that I already owned. Not only that, they were not going to reimburse me for my loss. Nor even pay me back the several hundred dollars of sales tax I paid for it. So I had no right to my own property. That single event was what woke me up and made me the pissed-off individual I am today.  Kim Campbell did that. Thanks Kim.

Alan Rock
 In 1995 the Canadian government passed Bill C-68, also know as the Gun Registry. For the first time ever, police did NOT have to get a search warrant to come in to my house without permission. They could come in at any time to check if my firearms were secured in the approved fashion. So I had no right to the security of my home and person, and no right to recourse against improper search and seizure by police.  Alan Rock and Jean Chretien did that. Thanks guys.

Jean Chretien
So in the space of four years, we lost three of our most important human rights here in Canada. Right to property, right to a secure home, right security from search and seizure.  (Later we lost the right to free speech to the Canadian Human Rights Commission, but that's a different story.)

But they don't -look- like the people who destroyed the legal rights of a whole nation, do they?

In America this process is accelerating. 

Here's a face to put on it: Selectman Barry Greenfield, Swampscott Massachusetts.  This guy wants to give police the power to enter homes at will and verify that any firearms within are stored "securely".

Selectman Barry Greenfield introduced an enforcement discussion Wednesday that he hopes will lead to the safeguarding of guns in town — keeping them out of the hands of children.

In school shootings around the country,  guns have been taken from parents and used by kids, he said.

The selectman said state law requires Massachusetts gun owners to keep their firearms locked away or rendered inoperable.

The problem, he said, is that police do not have the authority, granted by a local ordinance, to enforce the law and inspect the safeguarding of guns at the homes of the 600 registered gun owners in town.

The selectman said he has spoken with Swampscott Police Chief Ron Madigan about this.

"We need the ability to enforce the state law," the selectman said.

Yes. Barry Greenfield thinks the town needs to have police inspect the homes of all 600 registered gun owners. For the children. He wants the cops to have the power to barge into your house anytime that is convenient for them, and demand you show them that your stuff is locked away in the fashion they specify. And if not, your stuff becomes their stuff on the spot.

Massachusetts Selectman Barry Greenfield
Barry Greenfield doesn't look like a bad guy, does he? Here's what he said in response to some pointed questions from one blogger:

[excerpted, emphasis mine]...I'm simply asking the question of whether an existing law can be enforced. I'm not trying to add any laws. I asked our board of selectmen whether we could look into potential methods of enforcement. Can the police conduct a investigation with due notice, similar to a building permit inspection or a fire inspection when you want to sell your home? If not, fine.
Can registered gun owners be asked to submit a receipt of purchase of a safe or gun lock to prove they are complying with the existing law? I don't know. My job is to ask questions and find answers. I'm not a constitutional attorney – I'm asking questions to find answers.
I'm a volunteer elected official. I'm trying to do what I can to prevent Sandy Hook happening in my town. And, for that, I get threats to my family and home and person. Not necessary. Whatever happened to civil discourse?
It's ok to disagree, I've spoken with more than 20 people from all over the country today and most have been willing to have a meaningful discussion. I'm trying to answer every call I can since my phone number is all over the internet. Sadly, the emails are not as productive.

It all seems so utterly -reasonable-, doesn't it? So... nice! He's just worried some kids might get hurt, right?

Yeah. He's so worried he wants the cops to come to your house, stomp around the place and maybe find something to charge you with if they don't like the cut of your jib, all because you have the unmitigated effrontery to own a gun.

Wait for him to suggest registered gun owners be charged for police time used up in the inspection, that's coming next.

The Phantom

No comments: